It’s official – Wayne Rooney has decided to leave Manchester United.
Two days ago, I mentioned how lots of sports journalists were excitedly tweeting that Wayne Rooney wasn’t going to sign a new contract. Check out the extraordinary statement given by Sir Alex Ferguson in today’s press conference at Old Trafford.
Sir Alex Ferguson looks sad and disappointed. I’ve never seen him get so unhappy about a player leaving our club before. He’s denied having any arguments with Rooney and has clarified the ankle injury situation. A lot of people online (well, journalists and Lord Sugar, really) were impressed with what Ferguson had to say.
At the moment, Ferguson and Manchester United look like the victims while Wayne Rooney (and his agent Paul Stretford) look like the villains. I wonder how they are going to respond.
One thing you’ve got to admit about the whole saga is that this is what makes being a fan of football fan so fun. Crazy things are happening every season; it’s like we’re watching a soap opera. Let’s take a look at what’s happened so far this season:
01. Manchester City spent £126m on 6 players in the summer.
02. Manchester City gave Yaya Toure a contract worth £220,000 a week.
03. Martin O’Neil resigned as manager of Aston Villa.
04. Manchester United signed a former homeless player (Bebe).
05. Wigan lost 4-0 to Blackpool and 6-0 to Chelsea – in their own stadium!
06. Hicks and Gillett took the Liverpool board to court.
07. Hicks and Gillett eventually let go of Liverpool.
08. Liverpool lost to Northampton in the Carling Cup!
09. Liverpool slipped to 19th in the Premier League table!
10. Players have been condemned for too much dangerous tackling.
11. Danny Murphy named managers who apparently encouraged bad tackling.
12. Blackpool have played wonderful, attacking football.
13. West Brom have played wonderful, attacking football.
14. Manchester United keep dropping two goal leads. 😡
15. Wayne Rooney is dropped against Everton.
16. Sir Alex Ferguson confirms Rooney wants to leave Man United.
We’re only two months into the new season, and so many things have already happened. I’m looking forward to lots of other crazy things happening before the end of the season.
- Ferguson turns heat on Rooney (bbc.co.uk)
- When Rood Love Goes Bad (unitedrant.co.uk)
- So, where next for wantaway Wayne? (dailymail.co.uk)